Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Malachi's Booboo

Last night we had a bit of a scare when Malachi pulled a kitchen stool down onto himself. It landed directly on his big toe. OUCH!!!!! In the short amount of time it took me to pick him up and carry him to the couch to have a better look and to comfort him, it had already turned an ugly shade of purple. I panicked! John was outside attempting to clean up the drivewy, and I was sure Malachi broke his toe. I finally got John's attention and we loaded our screaming child into the car. I felt so bad for him- he cried and screamed in pain for at least 30 mintues without stopping. All of the ER nurses felt so bad, and kept trying to come up with things to distract him. One wonderful nurse found an Elmo video, and that helped. He also was given some ibuprofen and then also some oxycodon. He finally relaxed, we eventually an X-ray, and it turned out it wa not broken. Phew! Even so, it sure looks ugly!

When he woke up today he was just fine, and he's really been playing and walking like normal today, so that's a relief. I had this horrible panic when it happened that he would end up in a cast or something (irrational, I know). I thought, "This poor kid didn't start walking until only a couple months ago, and now we're going to have to hold him back again?!" But, all is well. Thank you, Lord!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Owie! I stubbed my little toe once and thought I was going to die. I limped for a few months before finding out it was broken. Your story reminded me of the time Kevin and I were on our way to the ER with Mackenzie screaming at 3 months. She fell asleep on the way there, so we went home. The next day I figured out that she was teething!