Friday, January 4, 2008

A funny thing happened...

So, if you hadn't heard yet, I failed my first glucose test just before Christmas (which was given later than normal, but that's what happens when you switch care providers I guess). This meant I had the supreme pleasure of taking a longer 3-hour version of the same test on Wednesday this week. For this test they gave me an IV line, drew blood, and then made me drink somewhere around 12 oz. of a super sweet, slightly-thicker-than-soda liquid. Then over the next 3 hours they drew blood once per hour. It was WAY fun! :P I actually didn't care that much, except that I really don't like needles much at all. Before I left they told me that unless something was wrong they wouldn't call me about the test.

Fast forward to yesterday. I get a call at work-- it's the Mayo nurse line-- uh-oh. Yup! You guessed it- I have gestational diabetes! Isn't that fabulous? Can't you just hear the sarcasm dripping from my mouth? OK, so I'm trying to stay positive, but... So, now I have to test my blood sugar levels twice a day, and I'm on a diet to watch my carbs. They're having me back next week to check over everything, and now I will officially begin going to see my Dr. every week.

The only thing I can think is thank goodness this was all discovered AFTER Christmas, and at least I don't have too much longer to deal with it (in the grand scheme of things). I know it will be fine, but this is my moment of frustration. I'm glad I have a place to vent. :)

2 comments:

Missy Eagen said...

oh Sarah!!!! I will pout a bit for you or with you whichever the case may be. I agree I'm glad you found out after Christmas :)

Continuing to pray for you, you sure are being broke in fast for this mommy thing!

Julie said...

hang in there, pretty soon you will have your bundled baby boy in your arms and then you might say, "holy crap, i'm not ready for this yet!" ;) j/k