Monday, November 5, 2007

Baby Update

Today's baby appointment raised more questions than answers and we request your continued prayers.

First, the condition with the heart... the baby's right ventricle is twice the normal size it should be. This could be a condition called premature ductal constriction which means the vessel that is used for blood bypass during pregnancy has been either cut-off or narrowed somehow. This duct normally closes within two days following birth once the baby is breathing on its own through its own lungs. It's not normal for this to happen in the womb. A follow-up appointment with the cardiologist has been scheduled for November 21st where they will be doing an echocardiogram (again). The good news here is that most parts of the heart are good -- blood flow, all the parts are there, etc. We have not been given any information about how the enlarged ventricle will affect the baby throughout the rest of the pregnancy and beyond.

Second, there appears (again) to only be three fingers on the left hand. While there is a slim chance that the other two are just "hiding", that is not as likely now that only three have been seen two times in a row. A third ultrasound with Mayo has been scheduled for November 26th.

Third, we have been advised to see a genetics counselor on December 3rd. The purpose is to trace back family history for three generations and to also start Mayo's researchers looking at a possible "why this happened" and "what should be done" for the rest of the pregnancy and following.

All in all, this has led to many more questions than answers and we believe that we will now be transferring our care from Olmsted Medical Center to Mayo Clinic since this isn't considered a "routine" pregnancy anymore.

Thank you for all the kind words of encouragement and prayers offered on our part. More are definitely needed.

3 comments:

Missy Eagen said...

John and Sarah, I read this last night and I thought about writing the words that came to mind soon after reading but decided not to. Isn't it funny how sometimes the Holy Spirit nudges us and we brush it off by saying silly things like "yeah they know this" or "good thing they have faith". Hogwash... His word is like a healing covering when our heart hurts. I had a dream that I whispered these words to you Sarah... (only wish I could whisper them to you by memory!)I guess if I don't listen while I'm awake He'll get me while I'm down! :)

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you


Whatever is going on with his heart and hand, the why's the what if's are already known by Our Creator, I pray that both of you and take comfort that.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I will continue praying for the three of you! Thank you for letting us know about your appointment. Now I know some specifics to pray for.

Much love to you all!

TAV said...

I blog-hopped from Ebby's and just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers, too! I'm doing lots of OB at UCD and, in the past week, we've had two babies with severe heart conditions, but they did really well and I know that your little guy will be just as precious!