Sunday, March 15, 2009

American Idol, anyone?

So, one of my favorite shows in the world is American Idol. And I love to gab about it with others, but don't have a lot of fans at my lunch table. I usually go to Kristi E.'s blog to see what she's said and respond, but I think it's time I start commenting on it here, too.

This year I am enjoying the talent, although I'm not happy with the new way of getting to the top 12 (or 13- whatever). I feel like I missed out on hearing exactly how good or bad the people are, since we only heard each one really one time. But, overall from what I can tell, there is more great talent than last year. Here's my take on each contestant who made it to the "top":

Adam- This season's rocker- this guy can sing, but I just don't like it. Everytime he's on I tend to want to leave the room or fast forward (we have DVR).

Alexis- LOVE her! This girl is a blues-y rocker, and I just generally enjoy her. She could make it to the end if she doesn't really mess up some week.

Allison- Red/pink haired young girl- I'm impressed so far. She can definitely sing, but we'll see how she stands up as the competition continues.

Anoop- I'm SO glad he's in the top 12! I enjoy him, and I think he's a genuine nice guy. However, I'm not sure how his "Boys 2 Men" sound fits in with modern music. I don't think he'll make it to the end.

Danny- The guy who is from Wisconsin and is a church music director- what's not to like?! I've loved him from the beginning. Really genuine, and amazing talent! I predict he'll be there until the end... I'd love to see him take it all! Plus, did you see the clip of him with his family? It was so fun, and his dad totally made me smile.

Jasmine- One of the ones who are out. She was young and had talent, but just was not on the same level as the others. Sweet girl, but it was her turn to go.

Jorge- The other one who is out. He had a really nice voice, and I was disappointed to see him out in the first week. I think there are others who should've been out before him.

Kris- Everybody likes him, but I really don't. He just kinda bugs me. I know he'll be staying for a while, if only because of the teenage girls who will vote for him. I just don't think he has the same talent as some of the other contestants. And have you noticed he sings with a really wide open mouth which makes a perfect O? His mouth looks kind of like a cartoon.

Lil- WOW! This woman has mad skills! She is amazing, and another one I'd love to see go far in the competition. She reminds me of Fantasia.

Matt- A fun, blues-y guy who was dubbed the "piano bar guy." I enjoyed seeing him play this past week, and think he has talent, but I don't see him going all the way.

Megan- The girl who dances funny; in fact I'm surprised the judges don't give her a harder time about this. Her voice is weird, which they keep calling "unique" and "current," but I just don't get her. I'm all about interesting singers, but this one leaves me confused.

Michael- The guy with the dangerous job- I love his back story, but don't think he will be in for long. He's a nice guy with a good voice, but a fair amount of the competition just seem better.

Scott- The blind guy who plays the piano. I don't quite get him. I really don't think he is nearly as good as the rest of the competition. Granted, his piano skills are great, and he has passion and heart, but his vocals are just okay. Plus, I do NOT get his song choices. I hope he is out in the next two weeks (unless he shows GREAT improvement).

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey--I like your list and agree with you almost totally! I do think that Kris is more talented than noticed at first glance--not incredibly unique, but talented. And I think Lil is O.K. She doesn't wow me at all. So--we're flip-flopped on just those two!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what I think about anyone. After Elliot, just not so eager to get so very involved. Plus, this season, Dancing with the Stars is on at the same time. I would record one and watch the other but not always home. (Wish I had a ti-vo for more reasons that one - especially the Glenn Beck show.) I have heard Danny will win and that suits me just fine. I have missed lots of the background stuff on everyone. I like Anoop too. He's cute. I don't like Adam at all either. In fact, none of the women seem to be too great either.

Mom

Julie said...

Ok, so I'm way behind on my blogs but such is life with an ear-infected child.

My friend and I send emails back and forth every night that AI's on to discuss our picks for that week. Here's what I've got to say about this season so far:

My fave's are Lil and Danny. I think Lil has an amazing voice and personality and story. However, as one friend pointed out to me... at the end of the day, whose cd would America buy? I would buy both of theirs but I think that America would say that Lil isn't distinctive enough, and as you and others have pointed out, she's much like Fantasia. So in that respect, I think Danny would be the better choice for an idol.

As for the others, I totally loved Anoop throughout auditions -- his problem is that he's not able to nail every single song (like Lil and Danny). Kris is one who I always forget about. He doesn't stand out to me and for that reason alone, I wouldn't pick him. Not saying he's a bad singer but when I have to think extremely hard about what his voice sounds like or what song he sang last week... well, that just about sums it up. Allison is ok for me. She's got a voice but I don't feel anything for her. I think it's because she didn't stand out to me during auditions. Megan is a horrible dancer AND singer and I'm not sure who's voting for her because my circle of friends is not. Scott's dad works in my building here in Phoenix and I think he's got a cool story -- but I don't think he has what it takes to win the competition (same comment for Jasmine and Michael). I am surprised that Alexis went home already because I liked her a lot. Jorge was a favorite all along but I just didn't think he would get the mainland votes that he needed. As for Matt, I didn't care for him one way or the other until this last week when he sang Marvin Gaye's song. I think that is the best ever rendition I have heard and I was ready to vote after hearing one song along. However, I would not spend my time voting nor do I ever watch the show live, so that is a completely unrealistic and worthless comment about me voting for him.

Well, I think I got all my thoughts out for now. I'll try to remember to keep checking your blog to put in my two cents.