Monday, December 8, 2008

Facebook "Hater"

I like my blog. I get to write and have an outlet, and people get to keep updated on our lives. It works for me. But there are people out there that think it's not enough. "Come to Facebook," they say. "You should be on Facebook," is the mantra. Well, people, call me a "hater." I'm not really interested in Facebook (or the like). I only bring this up because in the last 24 hours John has decided to join, and has been instantly sucked into the vortex of the thing. He cannot stop looking at the site, saying "hi" to people, responding to those who have found him, etc.

To me this is just another reason not to be on Facebook. I'm a busy person. Do I really need one more thing sucking me in? As I've watched John, I see that my joining could be detrimental to our family. Meals would burn up on the stove, dishes would pile up, Malachi would stay up until all hours of the night, and other horrors would occur.

My stock answer for not being on Facebook has been the same for years. I'm a teacher, and I don't want my personal life out and easily accessible on the web. As it is, I'm sure I have families and students finding me on this blog, but somehow that seems less creepy. I just don't like the idea of being in some kind of database where I can be looked up. This, of course, was more of an issue when I taught Middle School.

So, again, call me a "hater." I'm just going to stick to this blog for now. I say everyone is going to have to just deal with it! So there! :P

9 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Sarah, I agree with you! Mark joined because of "work". I hate it. Sorry, but I don't even want a cell phone. I don't NEED people finding us everywhere we go.

Let's stick together on this one. (Yes, if Mark's computer is on...Facebook is also on!)

Schuster Fam said...

Sarah-well articulated. I "accidentally" joined...long story! And now I want to get "off" and can't figure out how!!! I like blogging because to me it's more meaningful and purposeful.

Jen Elder said...

I am on Facebook and I'm a big believer of Facebook especially for work! It's wonderful for networking and promoting a business plus staying connected with old friends/acquaintances is neat. Our company has actually received business from FB.

That said, I completely see where you're coming from. Part of me wishes I never joined because it's very addicting and can be a time waster. I think you just need to learn when to shut it off and stop (be patient with John for a while because it's especially addicting at first).

Just so you know, if you do join you can limit your access to certain people so students etc wouldn't be able to see personal information but can still be your "friend" and contact you. Plus you control who you accept as a friend (in other words who sees your profile) so it's actually less public than a blog (unless your blog is private too).

I'll be sure not to bug you to join :)

Midwest LifeShots Photography said...

It is so easy to allow FB to become a problem in your life. I see friends, family members and sometimes even my boss using it during the work day. It can truly rule your life if you let it.

Sadly, privacy isn't invaded by FB any more than other Internet sites if you don't want it to be. As Jen points out it can actually be more secure than most if you change settings. If you Google "sarah carlson rochester mn" to see what comes up, 4 out of 10 results legitimately point to you, telling your education history (Classmates.com), family info (reunion.com) and even a PB article saying where you work! Sad, isn't it?

I am an enormous supporter of networking in any fashion and FB is top of the line in that regard. I have reconnected with old friends I haven't talked to in years as well as received referrals for business I would otherwise go without.

Good luck dealing with your man during the infancy stage of FB, it will be a nightmare! :)

Missy Eagen said...

Crackbook is a bit addicting at first.... it wears off and I'm not sure what my attraction is other than the fact I love staying in touch with those that I wouldn't normally stay in touch with. I still love reading your blog even if you are a hater! ;)

PS: I love the family pic I saw of you guys on John's facebook.... cute cute cute!

the j-crew said...

Oh, how I agree my friend. I joined FB to keep up with my family and no I'm getting notes saying "you've been kidnapped" or "someone poked you" or "you've been tagged." I fully admit that I'm either
a) not cool enough to know what this is
b) too busy to care or
c) both
I love the blog world better too!

John Carlson said...

Sarah is just jealous that on my first day of Facebook I had 75 friends invite me. I challenge her to do better than that.

Sarah Carlson said...

Ha! The response to this post makes me lol! I didn't realize this was such a hot topic. :) Oh, and John's only "challenging" me because he knows most of the time I will then respond and show him how I CAN do whatever he has claimed I cannot. Na, na! It's not working this time! :P

Anonymous said...

After all the responses you've gotten, I think I agree with all. I like being part of it but don't really do anything. I don't want to let it eat up my time. Other things I'd rather do. I have to say "ditto" to Rachel's comment on John's wall. You two are funny. Such a joy to be around. Love all of you so much.

Love, Mom