Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Timeshare Presentation

We have a timeshare in Cancun. Because of that, we often stay at timeshare resorts. We like them, even though we know that staying at them often means sitting through a timeshare presentation in which you are encouraged to buy or upgrade at the resort where you are staying. We feel the improved accomodations over a regular hotel make it worth it. We also know that for sitting through these presentations you often get some kind of gift.

We decided to sit through another one of these presentations today. I won't go into the boring details. However, I will say that in order to get our gift, we sat through a more than 3 hour ordeal, which overall wasn't too bad. It was the last 5 minutes that really got me fired up, though. Usually through these things I play the role of the passive wife (shocking to some of you, I know), who keeps looking at John as he says "no." In the last 5 minutes I gave up that role as we were passed off to a new salesman at the end under the guise of him taking a survey. The basic gist is he wouldn't take no from John so I jumped in and told him that we understood what he was offering, but were still going to say no, so we were done. He responded with dumbest phrase ever: "I guess saving money isn't for everyone." WHAT?!

I guess I won't say anything more- I didn't to him (although maybe I should've). I guess we just don't like to save money. Yup. That's what it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the gift? Was it worth it? Do you have to sit through those each time you go? Did you go to Charleston on your trip? Remember that's where I was born?

Love, Mom

Sarah Carlson said...

Yes, we did get great gifts: 2 tickets to the Christmas Show at the Alabama Theater (worth around $60 or $70), a $50 gift card to Wal-Mart, and a $10 gift card to Outback Steakhouse! We don't have to sit through them every time, but often do if the gift is good.

We did make a short trip to Charleston, but will have to go again because we mostly saw it in the dark and from the car. I totally forgot that's where you were born!